I attended a CPAWS workshop on the plan yesterday. Here is a summary of their recommendations for fixing the plan.
- Areas impacted by clear-cut logging and road building must be restored ASAP.
- Define a new model for forest management to achieve natural, healthy water systems and wildlife habitat.
- Protected area should be defined not just for the mountain tops but continue down through the valleys below.
New Protected Areas
- The entire Castle Special Place should be declared a Wildland Provincial Park.
- Protected areas should conserve ecologically important habitat from top to bottom.
- More protected area should be put in place as recommended in the original draft.
- The plan needs a new land use designation which identifies and protects habitat for wildlife along corridors between protected areas.
- Immediate development and implementation of a linear management plan.
Recreation & Tourism
- Develop eco-tourism in the region.
- Reclaim damaged OHV terrain and keep riders on specific trails.
- Restrict random camping outside designated areas.
- Provide sufficient resources to for enforcement.
You can help by:
- Writing to your MLA and Premier Redford.
- Attending one of the public consultation sessions.
- Through your comments, tweets etc. on Social Media