Jan 5 2015: Karst Spring | Snowshoeing & Winter Hiking | Kananaskis Outdoors Forum

This forum is for you to use as you wish for asking questions or generating discussion on non-motorized use of trails in Kananaskis Country or of issues relating to trail use. Where a blog has been linked to the forum, please follow the link at the bottom of the blog to the forum to make comments.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register sp_MemberList Members

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Jan 5 2015: Karst Spring
January 5, 2015
7:21 pm
Harvie Heights
Members
Forum Posts: 160
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Took a friend on a snowshoe to Karst Spring today. Saw some moose up at Goat Pond on the way in. Between 5 & 15 cm fresh snow this morning. Noon temps ~-10°, and later they warmed up a bit with -7° at Watridge Lake at 3:00 PM. Overcast & very light snow.

We broke trail for the 2nd half of the walk. Thank goodness others had been up the Karst Springs trail, for I suspect it would be hard to find with a totally untracked field of snow. "Interesting" trying to cross the creek leaving Watridge Lake with all the snowdrifts and windrows, but the "bridge" was visible.

Only 2 folks out XC skiing at the Shark trails despite nigh on perfect conditions. Two others snowshoers were out and they need to learn snowshoer etiquette (they were walking in the XC tracks on the Watridge trail). According to the official website, the trails were last groomed on December 19. They looked better than that to me; there was a fairly substantial trackset on all the Shark XC trails we crossed, and the Watridge trail probably could have been walked without snowshoes.

For photos and more, see my blog here: http://drandkc.blogspot.ca/201.....moose.html

Forum Timezone: America/Edmonton

Most Users Ever Online: 62

Currently Online:
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 97

Members: 61

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats: