Construction of the High Rockies Trail is almost complete — just under 82 km from Goat Creek to Elk Pass at the powerline. While almost all of the trail can be used this winter there are a few things you should be aware of:
- From Goat creek to Canyon Road the trail can be used by snowshoers, winter walkers, fat tire bikers, and where suitable by skiers. Between Goat Creek and Three Sisters Dam you will share the trail with commercial sled dog operators.
- From Canyon south to Elk Pass, the High Rockies Trail is almost all groomed ski trail. Fat tire bikers and snowshoers are asked not to use this section of the HRT during the grooming season.
- The section of trail through the Buller avalanche control zone is now officially closed and will remain closed until May 1st. Signs are up at either end of the section and at the winter access (see map).
- The start of the trail south from Buller is still “hidden”, but is easy to find. The ramps up to the bridges between Buller and Rummel have not been fully completed.
- Work is ongoing on the suspension bridge abutments at Blackshale Creek as long as the weather cooperates. The bridge itself will not be built until next spring. There are trails down to the highway on either side. See map.