Some info for you to comment on:
1. Signs on Sawmill hiking, biking and skiing trails were taken down last year as the trails were not able to be maintained. Everyone thought the color coded signs should have been left in place. It was pointed out that the trails receive more snow than any other ski area. The sign issue will be brought up at the next meeting.
2. A waxing facility is being considered near to Pocaterra Hut.
3. The Village Centre deli and grocery store at Kananaskis Village is closed. It is rumoured that Delta may take over responsibility.
4. Bragg Creek has had a great winter. Donations have helped pay for a new snowmobile and tracksetter. Volunteers are playing a greater role than ever before.
5. How many KC staff work on X-C trail grooming? Two for Peter Lougheed and Mount Shark; One for Ribbon Creek. They do a fantastic job.
6. Trail work for the coming 2011/12 season is mostly tread repairs and drainage work for muddy sections of trails including Death Valley and Gorge Creek trails in the Sheep. Yeh! Also of interest: Burstall Pass trail will be hardened in the flood plain, 2.5 km of Cox Hill trail will be rerouted with the help of the Mountain Bike Alliance, both ends of the Highline trail at Canmore will be extended, bridges will be replaced in Galatea Creek, food lockers will be placed at Ribbon Falls, Ribbon Lake and Lillian Lake backcountry campgrounds, Wolf Creek and Wildhorse backcountry campgrounds will be decommissioned. (No news yet on where the latter will be moved to), Touch of Class bike trail on Pigeon Mountain will be decommissioned. Sigh! we were so looking forward to not having to hike/bike the boring powerline access road. See the November posts on the forum under Trip Reports, Pigeon Mountain. Pigeon Mountain, by the way, is closed Dec 1 to June 15. Please comment on the decommission.
7. Some trails in the Gorge/Ware Creek area of the Sheep have been renamed, and new signs will be up shortly. More on this in the next KTAG post…